In-ground swimming pools are becoming more affordable over the last decade. This makes operational gate latches a significant benefit for homeowners and pool fence contractors. It can be confusing for those not familiar with pool codes.
The pool safety latches are made to be difficult for children to open by making it hard to get in and out of the pool. The latches can be opened by lifting up on the knob that opens the latch. This unusual opening action is not easy to grasp by children. To ensure that the latches work, they are placed at the top of each gate. Virginia Pool code requires that the latch mechanism is at 54aEUR or higher. They also come with a key lock.
Also, pool gates should be equipped with hinges that automatically close and do not face the pool. The latch will engage automatically when the gate swings back towards the closed position. It is then up to the pool owner to turn the lock to increase security. Each municipality, county, and city has its own pool code.
It is important to choose a aluminum or vinyl gate latch which is compliant with these regulatory codes.
Peace of Mind is Priceless
Even if your municipality, county, or city does not have a pool safety code in place it is better to be safe than sorry. Your local pool fencing code will be available to you from your pool or fence professional.
You will provide security for your family and any pets or children who might be interested in your new pool by using a pool safety latch approved by the city.
Here are some options for pool fence safety latches. It is a good idea to consult your hired fence manager before you purchase your latch. This will ensure that your pool fence will be compatible with the attachment.
MagnaLatch Series 3 Top Pull Manual Lock
One of the most common types of locks is the Magnlatch series 3. Take a look at some of the specs.
- 50% more powerful than other series!
- aEURC/ The Visual Indicator offers locked and unlocked status
- aEURC/ 6-pin security lock
- aEURC/ Horizontal & Vertical Alignment Indicators
- aEURC/ Excellent performance in extreme conditions
- aEURC/ The industry’s highest gate/post-movement tolerance
- aEURC/ Innovative vertical and horizontal adjustment
- aEURC/T-track for greater fixing strength
- aEURC/ Lift knob more ergonomic and child-resistant
- aEURC/ Industry-leading magnetic latching technology
MagnaLatch Series 3 Magnetic Pool Child Safety Gate Latch - Top Pull
Below are just a few reasons why the Magnalatch series 3 is so popular.
The pool safety latch is the most trusted worldwide. Protecting millions of pets and toddlers, an industry leader
The superior magnetic mechanism ensures frictionless self-latching every single time. No jamming!
Vinyl, wood, and metal gates
High-tough, polymer construction
MagnaLatch Key-Lockable Side Pull
- Reliable latching action
- aEURC/ Key-lockable
- aEURC/ Adapts all gates
- aEURC/ Magnetically activated (no sticking or jamming)
- aEURC/ Easy & Quick Installation
- The latch must be operated by the owner.
Useful links on Pool Code and safety
- Swimming pool and spa codes – National Swimming Pool Foundation
- www.aap.org â€“ American Academy of Pediatrics (search for water safety)
- www.childrensafetyzone.com â€“ Arizona codes, stats, etc.
- www.poolsafety.gov â€“ Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
- www.ddtechglobal.com â€“ D&D Technologies â€“ MagnaLatch and TruClose hinges
- www.preventdrownings.org â€“ Drowning Prevention Coalition of Arizona
- www.redcross.org (search for water safety) â€“ American Red Cross
- www.theapsp.org/ConsumerResources â€“- APSP, the pool industryâ€™s association
- www.usa.Safekids.org â€“ Safe Kids (search under drowning)